Chaos as Union Berlin fans clash with Rotterdam police, 75 arrested and some bitten by dog ​​after stadium lockdown


MORE THAN 70 fans have been arrested as Union Berlin supporters clashed with Dutch police during their team’s trip to Feyenoord.

Supporters of the German side were in Rotterdam for their Europa Conference League tie when chaos erupted.


Hundreds of Union Berlin fans were kept outside the stadium until half-time and beyondCredit: Twitter @EiserneHilfe
Fans suffered horrific injuries, with some requiring hospital treatment


Fans suffered horrific injuries, with some requiring hospital treatmentCredit: Twitter @EiserneHilfe
Police dogs were used in an attempt to restore order


Police dogs were used in an attempt to restore orderCredit: Twitter @EiserneHilfe
Fans claim they were the target of head attacks


Fans claim they were the target of head attacksCredit: Twitter @EiserneHilfe

According to Bild, 75 arrests were made with even fans BITTEN by police dogs.

Footage emerged on social media the day after the game, which ended 3-1 against Feyenoord.

Visiting Union Berlin fans claimed they were victims of “targeted attacks” by Dutch police, according to Deutschlandfunk.

Trouble began before the match kicked off, with hundreds of the 2,400 visiting supporters being refused entry to De Kuip Stadium.

They reportedly arrived on the pitch late so Covid vaccination checks could not be carried out in time for them to head inside for kick-off.

This led to a huge backlog of fans waiting to be let in, with things quickly turning sour.

Local police say a “small group of German hooligans” left the main group of fans in an attempt to attack them.


As a result, a police dog was used to restore order, three fans were reportedly bitten, along with an officer.

A police horse and rider were also reportedly injured after the horse was startled by fireworks and fell.

Trouble on the ground followed the mess in Rotterdam ahead of Thursday night’s game.

A group of Union Berlin team officials were attacked, including club president Dirk Zingler.

The incident happened in a restaurant, with Rotterdam police confirming that a 25-year-old man was arrested after a group of people threw chairs and other objects.

Union press and stadium spokesman Christian Arbeit also commented on the situation outside De Kuip stadium.

He said: “We were with several staff on site. We can confirm the situation as described.

“From our point of view, it’s a catastrophic situation when several hundred people with tickets are not in the stadium at half-time.

“Then something is wrong.”

The official Union Berlin Twitter account commented on the situation while the game was in progress, saying: “We are aware of the difficult situation outside the outdoor section in De Kuip.

“Our liaison team has been on site to try to find a quick and safe solution. “Sincere apologies.

“We will update with further information.”


About Author

Comments are closed.